Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: password auditing

From: "McGhee, Eddie" <Eddie.McGhee () ncr com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:57:33 -0500

I would 100% do this on a non networked machine, not worth the risk to loose every user/pass combo you manage to crack.

In theory it obviously could be done on a network machine but if it is not needed then don't do it. If you have a
genuine reason to need to be able to do it while the machine is networked by all means go ahead but lock the shit out
of it and don't give access to anyone to it but yourself, 7 trusted employees is 6 too many imo.

It only takes one person to screw everyone.