Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Common Criteria Evaluations

From: Richard Thomas <austindad () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:13:24 -0500

Now that is a big question.  One thing to consider is how much the
vendor wants to pay for a CC validation.  The higher the EAL, the more
it will cost.  As you examine products at the various EALs, you will
notice that as the level increases, the product becomes less complex.
Looking at the security target of a product will tell you what is in
scope of the evaluation.  The higher the EAL, the more assurance the
product has.  When a particular product acquires a validation
certificate, the code of the product is locked.  Any changes, e.g.
service packs, must be evaluated in terms of the impact to any of the
assurance claims made within the security target.  Also be aware that
products are evaluated in a specific configuration.  If you are trying
to achieve a given assurance level for your system, then first you
would need to purchase the appropriate product at that level and then
configure it and operate it in the same configuration as it was
evaluated for the EAL to be in effect.  If you are looking for the
types of security controls in place at the various EALs, I would start
at commoncriteriaportal.org.  I hope this helps.

Richard Thomas