Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: resources for system level security?

From: Artis Schlossberg <artis () infosec lv>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:03:17 +0100

For Linux, a good starting point is a hardening guide by NSA:

http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/files/hardening-rhel5.pdf

Although it covers RHEL specifically, many points apply to other
distributions too.

I'd then also look at checklist provided by SANS Institute:

http://www.sans.org/score/checklists/linuxchecklist.pdf

Guide to General Server Security from NIST is also worth mentioning:

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-123/SP800-123.pdf

These are a good starting point, not an exhaustive material on the
subject matter.

There are some good books that cover this; search your library.

---Artis