Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to Pen Test Crazy

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:25:25 +0200

Are we in agreement that patching, and vulnerability assessment should
be a part of the whole machine - but not the machine itself?

-metajunkie

Hi,

First, thanks for the complements! Next, I think what you're saying is interesting. I'd like to know how you think that the current practice of seeking vulnerabilities, waiting on patches, or upgrades, testing those patches and upgrades to make sure they don't break anything else, and then starting the cycle over again whenever new vulnerabilities are found to stay a step ahead (or not too many steps behind in most cases) isn't a cat and mouse game?

What if for every vulnerability you detected, you considered that there may be many more similar vulnerabilities in that software, and so instead of patching that one instance, you looked for an operational control that would address the whole problem? For example, your PHP web portal allows an SQL injection through special characters. The developer releases a patch for it. You can either apply the patch and run all the functionality/quality tests to make sure it doesn't break all your 3rd party add-ons (assuming it's not your personal web page and you care if it breaks) until the next time or you can start applying some better ingress/egress filtering which would prevent this problem in all the other interactions via the app to SQL.

Vulnerabilities are just a way to show us what we haven't controlled yet. 0-days are just a way to show us we are unprepared for the unknown. You can react by waiting for a patch or you can find a better way to control that part of your operations.

If you work to control your operations to make the exploitation of vulnerabilities ineffective, then you can always patch and test again if you want. But at least you're starting to break the cycle.

I can see how for some use cases, patching for security is okay and I have said so:

https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/10813-Getting-Off-the-Patch.html

But for companies, businesses, governments, and any tech who's supporting home users, the goal should be to get a stable level of security that's usable and not a race against the unknown.

Sincerely,
-pete.

--
Pete Herzog - Managing Director - pete () isecom org
ISECOM - Institute for Security and Open Methodologies