Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: What's Next? Attack of Internal IP Disclosure

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:05:38 -0700

After I launched a penetration testing attack from Internet, I could
disclose the internal IP address. What would be the attack after I
knew the internal IP address?

There is no attack. The server leaks a piece of low-value information
that, in conjunction with other vulnerabilities, may make your life
marginally easier. But usually doesn't.

IP disclosure, path disclosure, server responding to ICMP pings, etc,
are the canonical examples of padding in security assessment reports.

/mz