Politech mailing list archives

FC: UK may ban tasteless joke book, seizes child porn

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 02:01:27 -0500

The same article reports that UK religious leaders and
Congresscritter-equivalents are demanding that the government censor a joke
book. It makes fun of people who were raped. And: "Other targets include
the disabled and black people, including the blind singer Stevie Wonder."
The frenzied reaction:

  Jack Straw, the Home Secretary, is being urged to
  intervene by Peter Luff, Conservative MP for Mid
  Worcestershire. [...]  The Archdeacon of Aston, the Ven John
  Barton, questioned the kind of people who could find such jokes
  funny. The NSPCC said the book was "appalling" and
  contained the worst material it had heard of.

Let's hope the politicos and archdeacons morality hounds don't get wind of
alt.tasteless...

-Declan

**********

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/12/10/timnwsnws01015.html?19

Computers seized in child porn sweep

     BY STEWART TENDLER, CRIME CORRESPONDENT
              Joke book is condemned

  POLICE launched their biggest operation against Internet
  child pornography yesterday, seizing computers in raids
  on 27 homes across Britain.

  Twenty forces from the north of Scotland to the West
  Country carried out the dawn sweep co-ordinated by
  officers from Greater Manchester Police. Within the first
  few hours officers seized computers or material in
  Durham, Exeter, Pudsey in West Yorkshire, Manchester
  and Ross in the north of Scotland.