Politech mailing list archives

FC: Charles Platt on "collectivism" and Larry Lessig's book Code

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:48:31 -0500

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:47:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Charles Platt <cp () sedona net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
cc: politech () vorlon mit edu, Charles Platt <cp () sedona net>
Subject: Collectivism

Declan--

The most important detail in the very interesting book excerpt that you
quoted is, to me, the word "collectively." When any writer tells me that
"we must do something" and it should be done "collectively," alarm bells
go off in my brain--because it is solipsistic, mischievous, and probably
hypocritical for a writer (that most solitary, often unconventional
creature) to suggest what "we" should do for "our" benefit, based purely
on the writer's idiosyncratic views as opposed to a thorough survey of
public opinion.

I am also interested that the text you quote contains an implicit
assumption that a free market is somehow less representative of legitimate
human desires than a government program. In my experience, most government
programs are initiated by corrupt techno-illiterates whose feelings of
self-worth derive from telling other people what to do. This is not an
encouraging system for achieving justice in any area, least of all in
markets or human environments which involve computer technology.

But the most fascinating suggestion is that the "Declans of Netspace" (I
am paraphrasing) constitute some kind of juggernaut, more powerful than
all federal agencies put together. Flattering, but inaccurate. So far as I
am aware, there is only one Declan at this point, who functions more as a
voice in the wilderness than as a de-facto master of Net policy; and he
has no legal authority and relatively limited financial resources.

Also, by my definition (oh please forgive me, Declan, but I cannot
resist), the implication that your libertarian naivety stems from youthful
inexperience is unfair and unjustified, since you're not really that
young anymore.

Truth is in the eye of the beholder; and those who circulate views which
contradict our own will always seem bigger, badder, and more powerful
than they really are.

Feel free to convey my comments back to the writer you quoted, if you
have his email address. You may identify me as a senior writer for Wired
magazine (my current title) although of course I'm sure he would regard
Wired, like Declan, as another unstoppable, unreasoning antigovernment
instrument of agitprop, even though it has published no overtly political
articles for a couple of years, now, so far as I am aware.

--Charles