Politech mailing list archives

FC: FBI claims they're just misunderstood, from Freedom Forum

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:14:37 -0500

Reminder to politechnicals: Next time the Feds call, make sure you're
recording the convo into a sound/video file. Duncan Frissell has it right:

This is an example of why I always mention that people don't have to talk
to cops.  It has nothing to do with any privilege, you just don't have to
do it, period.  ISP, parent, witness, investigation target, passing
stranger.  You don't have to talk to cops.  It is not a crime and it's not
supposed to change the probable cause and reasonable suspicion standards
that justify further action by the cops.  Only judges and legislatures can
order you to speak and then only under controlled circumstances.
[...]
These days, anyone approached by the Fibbies could get rid of them real
quick by saying, "I'm running audio (and/or video) on this and will be
posting it to the web within 15 minutes of the end of our
conversation.  Zap.  No more Fibbies.