Politech mailing list archives

FC: Response from Blackplanet.com on banning "Babcock" last names

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:02:34 -0400

[Well, it's not exactly a response, but a paraphrase of one. Close enough. --Declan]

********

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:04:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shana Skaletsky <skaletsk () ymail yu edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: Blackplanet.com bans woman named "Babcock" for foul last
 name

This practice has become increasingly more common, unfortunately. When I
created a profile at socialnet.com's networking professionals site, I was
blocked from posting my educational background, since I wrote that I had
graduated *cum* laude from NYU.

Best,
Shana Skaletsky

*********