Politech mailing list archives

FC: Pro-regulation groups vie to block AOL Time Warner deal

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:15:56 -0500

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56055-2000Dec11.html

AOL Deal's Opponents Mobilizing

By Alec Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 12, 2000 ; Page E01

Opponents of America Online Inc.'s acquisition of Time Warner Inc. are mobilizing in a last-ditch attempt to persuade antitrust enforcers to attach tough conditions to the deal--or, failing that, to kill it.

The Federal Trade Commission is slated to vote on the $183 billion takeover on Thursday, and sources have said at least three of the five commissioners are prepared to approve the merger.

Opponents are moving quickly to get in a final word in anticipation of action by the antitrust agency. The American Civil Liberties Union said it is set to meet with commissioners on Wednesday. Small and mid-size Internet service providers from Florida to Wisconsin are contacting commissioners by telephone, e-mail and letter, and some representatives may come to Washington to meet with them this week. Some consumer groups said they have appointments with commissioners today.

Meanwhile, FTC staffers recently invited AOL nemesis Microsoft Corp. to weigh in on the merger, sources said. Microsoft officials, who have repeatedly raised concerns about the deal, declined to confirm or deny that they will speak to the antitrust agency again this week. "We've had a dialogue with the [FTC] staff," said a Microsoft spokesman.

[...]