Politech mailing list archives

FC: MP3Board sues RIAA in copyright linking case

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 09:58:39 -0400

**********

From: "Ira P. Rothken, Esq." <ira () techfirm com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: New Federal Case against RIAA involving linking
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 20:04:06 -0700

Declan,

We filed in Federal Court on Friday a case (MP3Board, Inc. v. RIAA) you
might be interested in regarding whether or not a web site can be held
liable for copyright
infringement for mere hyperlinking alone - you can read the suit and
exhibits at:

www.techfirm.com/briefs/riaacomp.pdf

If you read the RIAA's Cease and Desist letter sent to my client
(MP3Board.com) on May 25th, 2000 - in the Exhibits - they conclude that mere
hyperlinking alone to infringing sites is, in itself, a copyright
infringement. Can you imagine the chilling effect it would have if they are
right? If your magazine writes
about the case and puts in a link to MP3board.com that might constitute
copyright infringment under the RIAA's theory :-)

If you have any questions please let me know...

Ira P. Rothken, Esq.
415-924-4250
ROTHKEN LAW FIRM
ira () techfirm com