Politech mailing list archives

FC: Mattel sends me a subpoena, wants politech reader list

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:18:50 -0500

Mattel's attorneys have sent me a subpoena. Mattel, which sells CyberPatrol, has a problem: It wants to know exactly who's been downloading a program that reveals CyberPatrol's list of off-limits web sites.

Now, I never mirrored this "cphack" utility. But I did post the addresses of mirror sites to the politech list and the politechbot.com web site -- and that information source seems to be what attorney Irwin Schwartz is worried about. Schwartz copied system administrators at MIT, which is where the list lives.

Naturally I have no intention of revealing the identities of politech readers to Mattel or anyone else. Nor is a subpoena sent via email usually viewed as proper service, at least where I come from.

I've set up a web site to keep track of all these documents and developments:
  http://www.politechbot.com/cyberpatrol/

-Declan

From: "Irwin B. Schwartz" <ischwartz () schwartz-nystrom com>
To: "'webmaster () bip net'" <webmaster () bip net>,
        "'redaktionen () bip net'"
        <redaktionen () bip net>,
        "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>,
        "'web-request () mit edu'" <web-request () mit edu>,
        "'mis-team () mit edu'" <mis-team () mit edu>