Politech mailing list archives

FC: Legalize.com founder and politech member running for Congress

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:51:49 -0400

[Not the usual fare, but heck, this is a Friday, and getting 3,500 signatures sure shows initiative. --Declan]

*******

From: "Scott Jeffrey" <jeffrey () jeffrey2000 org>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Jeffrey, Legalize.com founder, on the ballot for U.S. Congress
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:50:27 -0400

Hey Declan,

Remember me?  Exciting stuff going on, I'm on the ballot for U.S. Congress.
I am pretty much guaranteed a second-place finish, beating the Republican.
Marijuana legalization is *the* issue for young Americans.  Would you mind
publishing my press release on Politech?  You the best!

JEFFREY FOR CONGRESS website: http://www.jeffrey2000.org
Contact: Scott Jeffrey (212) 280-2882 (o) FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
e-mail: jeffrey () jeffrey2000 org 9/20/00

JEFFREY, LEGALIZE.COM FOUNDER, ON THE BALLOT FOR U.S. CONGRESS
Scott Jeffrey, Legalize founder and president, is on the ballot for United
States Congress in the 15th District of New York.  This culminates a six
week petition drive during which Jeffrey personally collected over 3500
signatures.  What makes Jeffrey's achievement extraordinary is that the vast
majority signed to express their support for marijuana legalization.

Jeffrey is now in a strong position to beat the Republican candidate and
secure a second place finish.  The 15th District encompasses upper
Manhattan: Harlem, East Harlem, all the way up to Washington Heights and
Inwood.  The Republican does especially poorly in this district, receiving
less than 6% of the vote.

Furthermore, Jeffrey's district is one of the youngest in America.  The
average age is 32 and fully one third of the voting-age electorate is under
30.  Jeffrey's petition drive has already clearly demonstrated the passion
that urban youth feel for marijuana legalization and how it unites our
entire generation politically.  The signatures our campaign received already
constitute 3.5% of the vote.  There is no doubt Jeffrey will easily surpass
that 6% threshold.

More broadly, our generation needs to find its collective voice on issues
that directly impact our lives and aspirations.  "Choose or Lose" is not
what we need.  Instead of choosing among Baby Boomer politicians, we need to
find our own leadership to represent our generation directly.  We must take
up the fight ourselves if we wish to end the marijuana arrests and prevent
the censorship of our youth culture.

Please visit us at http://www.jeffrey2000.org for more information on the
campaign. -30-

--  Scott Jeffrey