Politech mailing list archives

FC: In search of Silensky, from Paul McMasters

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:56:47 -0400

[The Freedom Forum's First Amendment Calendar is a worthy project. I hope someone can help Paul. --Declan]

********

From: Paul McMasters <Pmcmasters () freedomforum org>
To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declan () well com>
Subject: In search of Silensky
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:52:21 -0400

To the Poli-tech list:

        Someone sent me a quote a few months ago for the First Amendment
Calendar. It is a great one. But I'm having a problem identifying the
alleged author of the quote. I worry that he is a figment of the web; i.e.,
this particular quote appears in numerous places on the web but the
attribution is so vague as to defy tracking. Collectively, the people on
this list know just about everyone who is anyone in the ether world, so I'm
asking if anyone knows whether this person actually exists and if so where
he resides in the real world. His name is Robert Silensky, and here's the
quote and vague attribution (we've checked Berkeley and Los Angeles web
sites in the University of California system to no avail):

        "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now,
thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Professor Robert Silensky
of California University

        Does anyone have any information that might help me track down
"Professor Silensky" or a confirmed source of this quote? Any assistance or
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul McMasters