Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on Brian K. West, DOJ, and "Good Samaritan" prosecution

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:22:57 -0400

*********

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:41:18 -0400
To: declan () well com, politech () politechbot com
From: John Noble <jnoble () dgsys com>
Subject: Re: FC: U.S. Attorney replies to "Good Samaritan" outcry with
 statement
Cc: gharlanr () bellsouth net

It's an interesting defense -- accidental penetration. Maybe somebody on
your list, Declan, who knows more about network security can answer this
question: if a hypothetical cracker was nailed by real-time monitoring -- a
"gotcha" while online and inside the network -- would he likely know it or
suspect it? Or can we assume that his voluntary report of his accidental
accomplishment was the product of good faith and stupidity?

John Noble

*********