Politech mailing list archives

FC: Don't fall for the HIV needles email hoax -- a cautionary tale

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:52:48 -0400

*********

From: Max Cacas <MCacas () freedomforum org>
To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declan () well com>
Subject: Cautionary tale on using e-mail
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:57:39 -0400

Declan,

Here's an item that might be interesting to your Politech subscribers.

Today's (5/17/01) Washington Post has what can best be described as a
"cautionary tale" on indiscriminately using e-mail to pass around seemingly
innocuous items to friends and colleagues.  It concerns the aide to a top
official in Fairfax County, Va. who spread what she thought was a credible
story about HIV-infected needles attached to the bottom of gas station pumps
- a story that turned out to be a hoax.  By sending the message to 100
friends and colleagues, the aide set the story loose all over the world, and
she -- and her boss -- are continuing to pay the price to this day.

The best quote from the story comes from the aide: "I can tell you, after
this experience, if the sky is falling, no one will hear it from me."

The story headlined "Apocryphal E-Mail Bedevils Va. Sender" can be found on
washingtonpost.com at:

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36923-2001May16.html

Cheers,
- Max

Max Cacas - Senior Online Producer[radio/webcasting]
Technology & Programs
The Freedom Forum / Arlington, Va.  USA
email: mcacas () freedomforum org
http://www.freedomforum.org
"Inanimate objects are out to screw you." - Fred W. Friendly