Politech mailing list archives

FC: John Ashcroft, nude breasts, and the DOJ's new prudishness

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:43:55 -0800 (PST)

[Can anyone point to a pre-drape photo? I'll take a post-drape photo after
I get back. --Declan]

http://nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-life-statues.html
[...]
Justice Department spokeswoman Barbara Comstock said the decision to
install the curtains was made by Attorney General John Ashcroft's aide who
handles advance work. ``It was done for TV aesthetics,'' she said.
[...]

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/HallsOfJustice/hallsofjustice.htm
Draping History
Halls of Justice: A Weekly Look
Inside the Justice Department
ABCNews.com
January 25, 2002
By Beverley Lumpkin
W A S H I N G T O N, Jan. 25 - About three weeks ago, I received a
tip. The attorney general was fed up with having his picture taken during
events in the Great Hall in front of semi-nude statues. He had ordered
massive draperies to conceal the offending figures. But initially not only
could the story not be confirmed - it was strongly denied. [...]