Politech mailing list archives

FC: EFF's Cindy Cohn on Lexmark DMCA case: Decision expected soon

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 00:06:06 -0500

Here's an article I wrote on Thursday about the case:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983560.html

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04300.html

---

Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:50:13 -0800
To: declan () well com
From: Cindy Cohn <Cindy () eff org>
Subject: Lexmark 1201 case update

Hi Declan,

I thought you might appreciate an update about the Lexmark v. Static Control 1201 case in Lexingon, KY federal court today. You can put this on Politech if you'd like.

Seth Greenstein, the attorney for Static Control reports that they had a day-long hearing on the motion for preliminary injunction. At the end, the Judge took it under submission and asked both sides to submit proposed rulings to him next week. He extended the temporary injunction the parties agreed to earlier this month until February 28, 2003, to give himself time to come to a decision, but increased the bond that Lexmark had to post to $250,000 from $75,000.

This the case where Lexmark is attempting to use 1201 of the DMCA to stifle competition in the printer cartridge refill market. Essentially Lexmark is claiming that the DMCA prevents reverse engineering of its printer cartridge processes by those who wish to create competing cartridge refill products for Lexmark printers. It, along with the recent case concerning the garage door opener, has set a new standard for ridiculous 1201 cases.

EFF submitted a declaration by our systems administrator in the case that illustrates Lexmark's attempt to lock purchasers into its cartridge refills. EFF bought a new Lexmark printer late last month. When we unpacked it, we found a piece of paper on top that claimed that the printer cartridge was subject to a "license/agreement." The paper said that by using the cartridge we were agreeing to use it only once and return the cartridge to Lexmark when we were done with it for a refill. It said that if we didn't accept those terms, we could call a number and get a cartridge that wasn't subject to them. We tried to call the number, but it was a nonworking number at Lexmark. When our sysadmin finally got ahold of someone in the sales department she said she had no idea what he was talking about. When we faxed the "license/agreement" to her, she said that it was not binding and we shouldn't worry about it.

But yet that same "license/agreement" is the basis for the claims against Static Controls. Lexmark argues that the

I'm attaching a .pdf of the declaration. We should have it up on the web shortly.

Does anybody seriously think that this was what Congress thought they were doing when they passed the DMCA?

Cindy