Politech mailing list archives

FC: Nevada legislation criminalizes publishing radio frequencies

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:22:31 -0400

---

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:11:09 -0400
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: ed <bernies () netaxs com>
Subject: Nevade legislation criminalizes publishing radio frequencies

declan,

If passed, Nevada Assembly Bill No. 441 (A441) would allow prosecution of a misdemeanor or felony for "disclosing or releasing any document, record or other item" which "reveals frequencies for radio transmissions used by response agencies" because doing so could ostensibly "compromise, jeopardize or otherwise threaten the public health, safety or welfare." (Sec 21.f)

(in 1996 the U.S. Secret Service told a judge I was "dangerous" because I possessed listings of radio frequencies.)

there also seems to be several other unconstitutional items in this bill:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/72nd/bills/AB/AB441_R2.html

-bernieS
"CALEA's first casualty"