Politech mailing list archives

FC: My review of Canon EOS 1Ds -- and the Canon EOS 10D arrives

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:15:23 -0500

[Also, my new Canon 10D digital SLR arrived on Monday from B&H. Yay! They told me the wait would be 4-6 weeks but it shipped 1.5 weeks after I ordered it, or just 2 weeks after Canon announced it. (I suspect B&H prioritized customers who spend far too much money with them.) It's a 6.3 megapixel successor to the Canon D60, which means I'll be retiring my 3-megapixel D30. I took the 10D to an open source conference in DC yesterday (http://www.egovos.org/) and, based on my preliminary results, give the 10D two thumbs up. Read on for my review of the 11 megapixel 1Ds... --Declan]

---

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6613935-1304-20610303.html

   By Declan McCullagh
   March 18, 2003

   Review summary
   The 1Ds is a state-of-the-art digital SLR that meets professional
   imaging and performance standards, with a price to match.
   The good: Tremendous resolution; full-frame sensor; professional body;
   weatherproofed; excellent handling.
   The bad: Very expensive; large and heavy; top continuous-shooting rate
   of only 3fps.

   Canon's latest foray into the high-end photography market, the EOS
   1Ds, may be the most capable digital SLR sold today. With an
   eye-popping 11.1-megapixel effective resolution, this model trounces
   its 3- and 6-megapixel EOS ancestors. Based on Canon's 1V
   35mm-film-camera body, the 1Ds should appeal to pros and other serious
   shooters who have been eagerly anticipating this level of quality and
   flexibility in a digital camera. The downside: This Canon is priced
   according to its feature set.

   [...remainder snipped...]