Politech mailing list archives

FC: Ashcroft tells Congress that Patriot Act II is a ghost, from IP

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:29:25 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:23:30 -0800
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Ashcroft: Patriot II is a ghost

Sen. Russ Feingold just a few minutes ago during a hearing this morning on Homeland Security asked Atty. Gen. Ashcroft why he hadn't come to Congress to discuss provision of the "Patriot Act II."

Ashcroft replied, categorically, that "there is no Patriot Act II. That said, it doesn't mean that we aren't constantly thinking and discussing how to make things better, safer," Ashcroft said. "So if there are some leaks... it's about what we've been thinking," Ashcroft said.

"There has been no bill decided on, no proposal decided on," Ashcroft said. "It would be the height of absurdity to have a bill I want to make law without informing Congress first."

Feingold wasn't buying what Ashcroft was saying. "Well, there is something out there," Feingold shot back, "and I'd appreciate you coming to Congress first."

Ashcroft finished off saying that "Until I think we have something appropriate" to discuss "I don't think we should engage in debate on something until it's appropriate."

------ End of Forwarded Message