Politech mailing list archives

Yet Another Congressional Anti-Piracy Caucus forms [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:19:05 +0200

It all seems a little anti-climactic to me. See:

Congressional caucus targets piracy
May 19, 2003, 3:51 PM PDT
http://news.com.com/2100-1028-1007908.html

and

Congressional caucus fights piracy
May 28, 2003, 4:31 PM PDT
http://news.com.com/2110-1028-1010925.html

How many "anti-piracy" caucuses do we need?

-Declan
---

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () sims berkeley edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Congressional "piracy" caucus formed...

In an interesting side note to this, I've started to see some bay area
residents wearing pirate hats of various sorts (all with skull and
cross-bones on them)... I can only hope that this is some sort of
protest against moves like the one described below.  I may have to
start wearing one as well!

Joe

---
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60054-2003Oct21.html

Congressional Caucus to Examine Entertainment Piracy

By David McGuire
Tuesday, October 21, 2003; 5:05 PM

The aggressive crackdown on movie, music and software piracy on the
Internet has been a headline grabber during the past six months, but a
new group of congressional lawmakers is focusing instead on trampling
the rampant copyright infringement taking place in broad daylight
overseas.

"Brazil, China, Pakistan, Russia and Taiwan have willfully ignored the
need to crack down on the sale of pirated goods, a practice that costs
the world economy billions of dollars each year", said Rep. Robert
Goodlatte (R-Va.) at a press conference today on Capitol Hill.