Politech mailing list archives

ACLU takes on states' MATRIX database [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:22:00 -0500

---

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:32:46 -0500
From: carrie davis <carrie.l.davis () cwru edu>
Subject: the ACLU takes on MATRIX
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Hi Declan,

I thought you and Politech readers might be interested in one of the projects I'm currently working on at the ACLU: MATRIX, the Multi-State Anti-Terrorism Information Exchange. The ACLU of Ohio issued a release & alert today (on our website at http://www.acluohio.org), trying to pressure the Ohio AG to turn over info about Ohio's participation in MATRIX. Our FOI requests haven't been answered, so we tried a new angle to get their attention. A similar approach is in use by the ACLU in the other states participating in MATRIX, and we have obtained some very enlightening info as a result (on the national website at http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy). Nine states have already withdrawn from MATRIX, and we're hoping that, with enough public outcry, it will go the way of TIA... or at least we can lift the veil of secrecy.

If you want any more info, let me know. I'm running point here in Ohio, and I would be more than happy to answer any questions or put you in touch with my counterparts elsewhere.

Hope you're doing well.

Best,
Carrie