Politech mailing list archives

Adrian Lamo, hacker-turned-journalism-student, speaks

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 00:56:51 -0500

---

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:14:11 -0800
From: "Adrian Lamo" <adrian () adrian org>
To: "declan () well com" <declan () well com>
Subject: update

hey

www.freelamo.com has an update. feel free to put its irrelevance on politech :)

Best regards.

Adrian Lamo
adrian () adrian org
2003-12-30

---

http://www.freelamo.com/4um/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=608

Dear Friends,

Alot of time has gone by since you heard from me, and some
of you have moved on or lost interest, found better things
to spend your time on, or otherwise ****ed off. That's fine.
I expect nothing of anyone, and I've been lax in recognizing
all the people who have given so much to make this site what
it is today.

I have not been indicted yet. I can't go into further detail
at this time, except to say that I haven't rolled over on
anyone for personal benefit.

Times have been hard, and getting harder. I have dental bills
and medical bills and school payments and classes and headaches.
My life today is both the inverse of my life a year ago, and
the exact same thing.

Being away from the web in the ways I have been might have been
difficult, but were ultimately .. seamless. Complex systems are
complex systems, and interlock. My life is now what it was 365
days ago. Computers don't have to be involved. Court orders can
lay no hand on ways of seeing.

I enjoy school. I am a journalism major. I think I just may be
a journalist, and maybe give hacker-turned-journalists a better
name :)

The days since September 4th have hurt everyone I love, and hurt
me, but I wouldn't change a moment. I wouldn't turn away from the
courthouse steps. I wouldn't change the years that came before.

I look to an ending for this particular plotline. Any action of
mine, I own. I will not deny the consequences of my actions,
real or alleged.

Our lives come to us for reasons we don't always have standing
to see, and in moments where sight fails, it's faith that keeps
me going. Not in a deity, or a theology, or anything more than
knowing that it's *about* something.

We are more than the sum of our parts.

I want to be daylight.

-- Adrian Lamo