Politech mailing list archives

Libety Round Table supports exhibitionist webmistress [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:11:41 -0500

News coverage:
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/12/30/offbeat.naked.web.ticket.ap/
The 21-year-old Web designer was busted for violating Lincoln's public nudity ordinance by posting pictures on her Web site that apparently showed her naked in a downtown bar... (Melissa) Harrington was to be arraigned in Lancaster County Court on January 29. If convicted, she faces a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $500 fine.

Original documents:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/nakedlincoln1.html

Melissa's site:
http://www.melissalincoln.com/main.html

The Liberty Round Table's "Free Melissa" project:
http://www.libertyroundtable.org/projects/freemelissa/
Meet our new friend Melissa. She's a fairly ordinary 'girl next door' who has a day job and does web design. She also has a healthy respect for human beauty and is completely unashamed of her body. She has combined the two and built a web site that features, among other things, nude pictures of her, some in what appear to be fairly public places ... and found that she really likes the feeling this gives her. She compares it to a natural high.

For our part, we are not exhibitionists, but do believe that anything that de-mystifies sex, shows that good clean fun and healthy bodies are not 'dirty', is a very positive thing. There's no end to the flood of misery produced by people's twisted ideas about sex, love, and the human body, so we say: 'Hurray for Melissa's one woman war against benighted puritan attitudes!' That Melissa's site has a commercial side makes her work no less valuable -- have not libertarians and objectivists always said that freedom is so valuable that there ought to be a way to promote it at a profit? We agree with Melissa; she has nothing to be ashamed of, not her body, not her pictures, not her profit.

Unfortunately the police don't see it our way -- or perhaps they do, but have their hands tied by blue-nosed laws that should be stricken from the books. Whatever the reason, Melissa has been targeted and ticketed for "public nudity" and faces a $500 fine and possible jail time of up to six months.

Even if everything Melissa is accused of is true (and with photoshop being what it is these days, no one can really claim that pictures on a web site prove anything anymore), it would not be as though she had flashed anyone, nor subjected anyone who did not want to see it to the sight of her body. Her pictures were taken in a discrete environment of consent, and viewed online by people who chose to see them. The only crimes committed are those of the authorities who are willing to apply the full force of law to a woman who has hurt no one. Make no mistake, for daring to enjoy her freedom, her self, and sharing that fun, Melissa is to be arraigned on January 29, and could soon be the victim of legalized theft and enslavement.

We should also say, lest anyone think we are trying to mislead freedom activists (or Melissa herself), that she never claimed to be a libertarian. In fact, while she does believe her web site has artistic merit and should be protected by the First Amendment, and the playful banter on the site is an unabashed sales pitch ('unabashed' just seems to go hand in hand with Melissa), she says it's really all about having fun. She would do it anyway, even if there was no money to be made, and she says she's willing to spend every last penny she gets from the site fighting for her freedom to express herself (and everyone else's freedom too).

So, how can you help?

Well, Melissa says that she wants to fight this "all the way" and has no intention of taking any plea bargains. So, of course, there're legal expenses. But rather than asking people to contribute to a legal defense fund, she asks folks who want to help to "sign up" for her web site (register as paying subscribers to gain access to the full content of the site). Even if you don't want to see pictures of Melissa, this will help her, financially, of course, but also to show that many people approve of what she's doing -- or, at least, disapprove of what the state is doing to her. It seems to me that there is no better way to show appreciation for an artist than to pay for her work; it has a better, cleaner feel than straight charity and allows her to be able to give some value in return for the help.