Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Scripting Languages and Secure Coding

From: Bob Toxen <bob () verysecurelinux com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:34:01 +0000

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:26:37PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
The C compiler and popular C library routines do not have bugs

If you think this you are deluding yourself.  No body of code as large
as either is bug-free.

I assumed it was understood that I meant KNOWN bugs.  If neither the good
guys or the bad guys know about a security bug (and are not likely to)
it is not a security issue.  Hence, a popular standard is the rate that
significant security bugs are discovered.

When PHP has [...] I'll consider it safe for use.  Unlike C and
Apache, one does not HAVE to use PHP in their system.

One does not have to use Apache.  (I don't, for example.)  One does not
have to use C, either, though I'm not an example; quite aside from
people who simply don't compile stuff, there are other languages, even
other compiled languages, most of them better than C for some tasks and
goodness metrics.

I think that you are nitpicking my comments.  I think that it is safe to
say that most web servers (that don't use Windows) use C code in the
system and use Apache.

Can we move on to another topic?

/~\ The ASCII                         der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/ \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Bob