Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Variable comparisons

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:04:05 +0000

Wietse Venema wrote:

I translate that as: try to build complex systems from simpler
ones.  The hard part is to define the building blocks that make
this simplification possible. Unfortunately, this composition and
decomposition game helps only until the real world requirements
change to the point that they can no longer be accomodated.

Unfortunately, to actually reduce complexity, you need _independent_
building blocks, and I can't think of too many truly independent ones.
Surprising interactions are always possible (someone has called
essentially the same problem "leaky abstractions").