Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Is developer education a lost cause?

From: jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:08:45 +0000

Jeremy,

You just can't be right ;-)

It's not because customers don't care, but because there's no good way for
them to tell a secure product from snakeoil. This is a classic market
failure -- asymmetric information between buyers and sellers. You should
read "The Market for Lemons" which won George Akerlof the Nobel Prize for
Economics (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons).  In it,
Akerlof describes how even a market with adequate supply and demand can
break down in the face of asymmetric information.

"The paper describes the secondhand market for used cars. Some cars are in
good working order  -- these are referred to as jewels; Some have hidden
defects -- these are called lemons. Yet because buyers don't know which cars
are the lemons -- in this asymmetric market -- the market price of even a
good car decreases. Thus, sellers of good cars are less economically
inclined to sell their cars, and a rational market will only be filled with
bad cars."

Sound familiar? The software market is filled with bad software because it
is very difficult to tell which applications are lemons. The only way out of
this trap is to make it easier to tell insecure apps from secure ones. I
hate to say it, but this kind of market failure may require some form of
government intervention -- tort claims, tax incentives, mandatory
disclosure, or something. Oh, and the Common Criteria ain't it.

Okay, so maybe you're right for the wrong reason. If we want more secure
code, we better fix the "security information" market first. We need to
shoot for a "fair" information market where everyone has the same
information. Then market forces actually work for security. Only then does
developer education become critical.

For now, only isolated pockets of software development that are shielded
somehow from this market failure will be very interested in security
training. They *do* exist sporadically in the Global2000 and DoD, in
projects like sensitive intranet web apps/services and high profile internet
web applications. They take our classes and we're helping them improve their
SDLC so it produces secure code.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security