Secure Coding mailing list archives

On "application security"

From: "Gary McGraw" <gem () cigital com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:59:35 +0000

Read this you guys.  This paper expands a bit on the distinction I like
to draw between application security and software security.

http://www.cigital.com/papers/download/software-security-gem.pdf

Needless to say, I worry about what happens when the current crop of
"application security" vendors looks at actual code.

gem

p.s. Not that black box testing is *completely* useless.
p.p.s. Actual citation:
Gary McGraw (2002) Building Secure Software: Better than Protecting Bad
Software. IEEE Software, Volume 19, Number 6, pages 57-59.
(Point/Counterpoint with Greg Hoglund.)

This electronic message transmission contains information that may be
confidential or privileged.  The information contained herein is intended
solely for the recipient and use by any other party is not authorized.  If
you are not the intended recipient (or otherwise authorized to receive this
message by the intended recipient), any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of the information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic message transmission in error, please contact the sender by
reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Cigital, Inc. accepts no
responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of this email or its contents.
Thank You.