Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Looking for good software security stats

From: Chris Wysopal <weld () vulnwatch org>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:32:00 +0000

@stake published its first application security metrics report in April
2002.  It is an analyis of 45 "e-business" applications that @stake
assessed for its clients.  Most are web applications.

The Security of Applications: Not All Are Created Equal
http://www.atstake.com/research/reports/acrobat/atstake_app_unequal.pdf

@stake found that 70% of the defects analyzed were design flaws that
could have been found using threat modelling and secure design reviews
before the implementation stage of development.

62% of the apps allowed access controls to be bypassed
27% had no prevention of brute force attacks against passwords
71% had poor input validation

@stake lists the top 10 categories of application defects found.  The list
predates the OWASP Top 10 by eleven months and is largely the same.  The
data has percentage of applications effected and is ranked, so it is not
anecdotal.

The is a follow-up of the first application defect study done 15 months
later in July, 2003.  This was done to see if application security is
improving.

The Security of Applications, Reloaded
http://www.atstake.com/research/reports/acrobat/atstake_app_reloaded.pdf

The results found that security is improving overall but that there
is a widening gap between the security quality of the top quartile of
applications and the bottom quartile.

There is another article that 3 @stake authors wrote for IEEE Security and
Privacy Magazine which contains elements from both reports.

Information Security: Why the Future Belongs to the Quants
http://www.atstake.com/research/reports/acrobat/ieee_quant.pdf

Cheers,
Chris