Secure Coding mailing list archives

Is developer education a lost cause?

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:37:16 +0000

Hi all,

Over on the Full-Disclosure mailing list, there was a recent thread that
questioned whether trying to educate the end consumer of PC products is a
lost cause.  Malicious software has managed to dupe unsuspecting users into
doing things that security professionals have frowned on for many years,
despite untold numbers of news stories warning users about the problems.
To many, it would appear that the computing masses are...
<diplomatic>knowledge resistant</diplomatic>.  :-)

Well, if things are really that bad for the end consumer, how does the
situation bode for the average software developer?  That is, we've all seen
untold numbers of news stories about buffer overflows and the like.  Why is
it that we don't seem to be making much progress in stamping out these
things?  (I should note that I am not including present company here on
SC-L in this question, since we're presumably all here because we're
concerned enough about secure application development that we want
to discuss and learn with other like-minded folk.)

Is developer education a lost cause?

I happen to think that it isn't, but that opinion isn't shared by everyone.
Indeed, a few of the people that I talked with about participating here on
SC-L were relucant because they were fed up with trying to educate the
masses.

If you agree that it isn't a lost cause, then what more {c|sh}ould be done?
That said, how do we measure or even know if things are improving?  By the
number of vulnerability advisories per month?  (I hope not.)

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk