Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: SPI, Ounce Labs Target Poorly Written Code

From: "Peter Amey" <peter.amey () praxis-cs co uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:10:46 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Blue Boar
Sent: 28 June 2004 21:35
To: Kenneth R. van Wyk
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SC-L] SPI, Ounce Labs Target Poorly Written Code

Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:
The article quotes SPI Dynamics' CTO
as saying, "It doesn't require developers to learn about
security," which
strikes me as being a rather bold statement.

I seriously doubt that there is a programming language that can do
anything useful that one can't do something stupid with.  Never bet
against the quality of idiots available in the world. :)

Always willing to rise to a challenge.  But I'll cover my bets by slightly changing Blue Boar's words by adding "which
wouldn't be obvious".

I would assert that using SPARK it is very /hard/ to something stupid and /impossible/ to do something stupid that
wouldn't be obvious to the SPARK Examiner tool.  In fact, the only way I can think of doing so would be to construct a
formal specification for stupidity and then correctly implement it (which is clearly feasible).

The first part of your challenge "that can do anything useful" is proved by the existence of real, useful prgorams
written in SPARK.

Peter

the system manager.  The IT Department at Praxis Critical Systems can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mimesweeper.com

http://www.star.net.uk