Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Education and security -- another perspective (was "ACM Queue - Content")

From: "Peter Amey" <peter.amey () praxis-cs co uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:28:12 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Crispin Cowan
Sent: 07 July 2004 23:29
To: ljknews
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SC-L] Education and security -- another perspective (was
"ACM Queue - Content")

ljknews wrote:

What is wrong with this picture ?

I see both of you willing to mandate the teaching of C and yet not
mandate the teaching of any of Ada, Pascal, PL/I etc.

Makes sense to me. what is the point of teaching dead languages like
Ada, Pascal, and PL/I?  Teach C, Assembler, and Java/C# (for the
mainstream), and some lisp variant (Scheme, ML, Haskell) and Prolog
variant for variety. But Ada, Pascal, and PL/I are suitable
only for a
"history of programming languages" course :)

I do hope that is a sort of smiley at the end of your message.  Please.

Peter

the system manager.  The IT Department at Praxis Critical Systems can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mimesweeper.com

http://www.star.net.uk