Secure Coding mailing list archives

Developers Blame Users for security problems

From: "Greenarrow 1" <Greenarrow1 () msn com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:21:43 +0100

In case someone did not read this article I am sending it as a post (I
realize it is just a survey and they do not show who participated it is
still interesting):

http://www.internetweek.com/allStories/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=23902554

Developers Blame Users For Security Problems

By TechWeb News

Users are the weak link in security and Linux is inherently more secure than
Windows, said developers polled by Evans Data in a survey released Tuesday.

One in four developers think that the biggest hurdle to security is end
users refusing to adhere to polices, a nice way to pass the buck for
potentially-flawed code.

"As with any other security concern, the best technology in the world can be
undone by untrained or inattentive end users," said Glenn MacEwen, an
analyst with Evans, in a statement. "The same holds true for the development
of secure computing applications and projects."

In other survey findings, Evans said that developers were split on which
libraries and APIs to use when building security applications. While 17
percent use Java security APIs and the same percentage uses Microsoft Web
Services Extension (WSE), OpenSSL is right behind at 15 percent.

And in numbers that will warm the hearts of Linux enthusiasts, the poll of
400 database developers and IT managers found that 25 percent think the
open-source OS has the best innate security. Microsoft's Windows 2003 came
in second, at 19 percent.

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1