Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: How do we improve s/w developer awareness?

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:04:08 +0000

At 10:26 AM -0500 11/11/04, Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:

In my business travels, I spend quite a bit of time talking with Software
Developers as well as IT Security folks.  One significant different that I've
found is that the IT Security folks, by and large, tend to pay a lot of
attention to software vulnerability and attack information while most of the
Dev folks that I talk to are blissfully unaware of the likes of
Full-Disclosure, Bugtraq, PHRACK, etc.

I believe that this presents a significant hurdle to getting Dev folks to care
about Software Security issues.

As a software developer, I care about such issues, but the compiliations
you list are largely not applicable to the operating system and programming
languages with which I work.
--
Larry Kilgallen