Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Comparing Scanning Tools

From: jsteven at cigital.com (John Steven)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:51:50 -0400

All,

Sorry it took so long, but I've finally got the new string of
Building Security In (BSI) articles up on Cigital's website. Brian
Chess (of Fortify Software) and Pravir Chandra (of Secure Software)
and I collaborated on an article regarding adopting code analysis
tools that might be of interest:

http://www.cigital.com/papers/download/j3bsi.pdf

Check it out. I'd say it's "up and coming" rather than "here", but
some of my more advanced clients have surprisingly good ideas on how
to assure outsourced development. As one might imagine, they involve:

* Running code analysis tools, penetration tools
* Defining/running programmatic destructive (what they call UAT,
though they're much deeper) tests
* Incorporating language (in addition to what's provided by OWASP)
about SLA, QoS, and vulnerability remediation during maintenance
* and other controls

I've seen/helped in rare cases with conducting software architectural
analyses to determine if the vendor's solution introduced security
flaws in pursuit of the contracted requirements.

Of course, hard problems still exist... not the least of which being
the pragmatics of allowing off-shore vendors to promote into
production, hold staging or production secrets, access to production
data stores, and so forth.

It's no shock that an organization must have a handle on how much
software development and maintenance really costs before it allows
these budgetary 'hits' explicitly. In the end though, they'll get
paid out anyways on the backend.

----
John Steven
Technical Director; Principal, Software Security Group
Direct: (703) 404-5726 Cell: (703) 727-4034
Key fingerprint = 4772 F7F3 1019 4668 62AD  94B0 AE7F
http://www.cigital.com
Software Confidence. Achieved.