Secure Coding mailing list archives

Cost of provably-correct code

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:59:42 -0700

David Crocker wrote:
Crispin Cowan wrote on 21 July 2006 18:45:

Yes, you can have provably correct code. Cost is approximately $20,000 per line
of code. That is what the "procedures" required for correct code cost. Oh, and
they are kind of super-linear, so one program of 200 lines costs more than 2
L programs of 100 lines.

To arrive at that cost, I can only assume that you are referring to a process in
which all the proofs are done by hand, as was attempted for a few projects in
the 1980s.
I did not arrive at it. It is (allegedly) the NSA's estimate of cost per
LOC for EAL7 provably correct assurance. This was quoted to me from a
friend at a company who has an A1 (orange book) secure microkernel.

 We current achieve automatic proof rates of 98% to 100% (using PD),
and I hear that Praxis also achieves automatic proof rates well over 90% (using
Spark) these days. This has brought down the cost of producing provable code
enormously.

Interesting. That could possibly bring down the cost of High Assurance
software enormously.

How would your prover work on (say) something like the Xen hypervisor?
Or the L4 microkernel?

Caveat: they are C code :(

Crispin

--