Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:53:02 +1100

On 11/9/06, SZALAY Attila <sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu> wrote:
Hi All,

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:20 +1100, mikeiscool wrote:

You can definately get appropriate information via the stack trace
with java's exception handling. It's strange to see you say debugging
is _eaiser_ in c, typically people find it far easier in a managed
language :)

People are different. :))

I personally want to know what happens and I don't believe anything waht
I can't see. In C I can see the assembly code what (I hope) is a
deterministic thing. An interpreter is to big (to me) to think about it
as a deterministic thing. And yes, with ``normal'' bugs a managed
language could give me more possibility to find the place of the
problem. But I want to hope, that we don't commit normal bugs. :)

So basically you are expecting the only thing to go wrong on your
program is to be bugs in the VM? Be it java or c#? I find that really
strange. Sure, there have been bugs in the JVM/C# VM but just the same
there have been bugs in windows that will affect your c programs. I
really don't see that being a feasible/likely enough scenario to not
use one of these languages.

And with mysterious bugs, when you cannot reproduce it in a test system,
just the costumer some hundred miles away, I think that the stability of
the compiled code (and the core file what may created) is give more more
chance to find the right place.

Right exactly, and the fact that you have a stable VM instead of a
strange-patched-level of windows/linux os gives you a stable platform.

-- mic