Secure Coding mailing list archives

Compilers

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:56:20 -0500

Integration of some of the static techniques found in tools like fortify into compilers does make sense.  However, not
all of the kinds of things should be put in the compiler (how many coders do you know that use the -Wall??!).  So one
use case for some of the knowledge would be compiler enforcement.  Note that compilers are notorious for computing and
then throwing out many things statically.  They are designed to get their transformation business done, not to do real
analysis.

Still other things should be worked directly into the languages.  C and C++ suck for security.

And most importantly, rules tailored directly to the enterprise situation at hand require a platform like fortify.  At
cigital we have developed sets of custom rules for customers with great results.  This cuts down false positives and
makes it possible to enforce guidelines and standards that make sense for the business (think J2EE here).

Bottom line...we need it all, and we need it now.

gem

P.S. Ken's course was co-designed by me and is based on my book.  You might pick up a copy.

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
book www.swsec.com