Secure Coding mailing list archives

Secure programming is NOT just good programming

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:59:46 -0400

On Oct 12, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Gary McGraw wrote:
I suppose now is as good a time as any to say that everything david
is talking about here is described in great detail in the HOW TO
book that I released last february.   If you're reading this list,
you really should read that book.  It's called "software security".

Ken and I have trained thousands of developers using the book as a
guide with some success.  Cigital has a number of very large-scale
software security initiatives underway at various customers that
leverage that training.  But more importantly, good programs
instill and measure the kinds of best practices (called touchpoints
in the book) that are certainly not part of standard good coding
practice.

Presuming you meant "now part of..." and not "not part of..."

In any case, another great source of information on the touchpoint
processes in Gary's book is the DHS-sponsored Build Security In
portal at http://BuildSecurityIn.us-cert.gov.  It's still a work in
progress, but there are a bunch of in-depth articles explaining all
of Gary's touchpoint activities and such.  Plus, several new articles
will be appearing there over the next few months, so keep checking in
for updates.  The site is free and open to the public.  (Full
disclosure: as one of the BSI authors, I'm certainly not unbiased,
but I still believe it's a valuable resource for those who are
interested in learning more about the touchpoints Gary cited.)

Cheers,

Ken
-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk