Secure Coding mailing list archives

Need a few slides/data on surging importance of security and source code security

From: rcs at cert.org (Robert C. Seacord)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:51:57 -0400

Holger,

There are a bunch of slide sets on the CERT web site at:

http://www.cert.org/nav/present.html

The one labeled "Home Computer and Internet User Security (ppt)" might
be close to what you need.

I have some slide sets up there as well, but my stuff is too detailed
for a management audience.

rCs

I am sure that quite a few of you already have done or know
who has done this non-technical, "mundane" job: I need a few
slides with data (e.g. numbers, or maybe historic examples) to
convince a management-level audience of a manufacturer of networked
appliances who has only a dim view of security of two things:

- security is a problem for anybody developing software running
  on networked hardware, and it is a rapidly growing problem with
  a clear economic impact

- a large part of vulnerabilities stems from bad coding practices,
  and there are companies that actively and successfully combat this

Pointers to relevant web pages would be nearly as nice as finished
Powerpoint slides.

(Aside: You shouldn't view my request like that of a student asking for
someone to steal his homework from: Everyone in our community needs
such data in some form or other at some time, and we should all
contribute
to making everyone in the community look as good as possible in this
respect in, to advance our common cause of more secure software. I have
contributed to the community, too.)

Thanks for your input,
Holger Peine

--