Secure Coding mailing list archives

Vulnerability tallies surged in 2006 | The Register

From: list-procurare at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:47:10 -0500

This is completely unsurprising.  Apparently nobody told the agile dev
community that they still need to follow all the secure coding practices
preached at the traditional dev folks for eons.  XSS, redirects, and SQL
injection attacks are not revolutionary, are not all that interesting, and
are so common-place that it makes one wonder where these developers have
been the last 5-10 years.

Solution to date: throw out traditional design review, move to agile
security testing.  Why?  Because there seems rarely to be a design to
review, and certainly no time to do it in.  Overall, it's important that
agile apps be built on an underlying publishing framework so that inherited
vulns can be found and fixed across the board by focusing on a single
platform.

Next challenge: new year, new technology fads.  Web 2.0 is another code word
for "that's so last year".  Time to play catch-up, and January isn't over
yet! *sigh*  Oh, and speaking of Web 2.0, who's protecting the customer and
their data?  Better yet, who owns which data?  With mashups being the buzz
word du jour, you may think your data is on SiteA, when in fact it's spread
across SiteB, SiteC, and SiteD.  Wheee.

One bit of good news: agile dev has often meant, in my experience, rapid
resolution of discovered vulns.  Since you don't have the full SDLC (or
comparable) process to follow, or even a formalized patch mgmt process, it's
often just a matter of finding bugs (through targeted "hyper-testing" -
think flash-bang), sending them to the devies, waiting 10-30 minutes, and
watching the vuln disappear like magic.  Am curious how change mgmt works on
that, though... ;)

cheers,

-ben

---
Benjamin Tomhave, CISSP, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM
falcon at secureconsulting.net
Web: http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/622/964
Blog: http://www.secureconsulting.net/

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all
citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression,
any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  _____