Secure Coding mailing list archives

quick question - SXSW

From: mlyman-cissp at comcast.net (Mike Lyman)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:06:46 -0500

Arian J. Evans wrote:
Overall security is not a feature or a function that you can monetarize.
It's not even cool or sexy. It's an emergent behavior that is only
observed when it is making your software harder to use.

Maybe it is just the US Department of Defense environment where I am
currently working but I see developers start to see this as cool and
sexy. Most are picking it up quickly and a few are even interested in
diving in deep into the security world. They ask great questions and are
doing a lot of independent research on it. We are in an environment
where they get security awareness training a few times a year and are
constantly bombarded with security messages but some of them really are
getting into it. It gives them something new to learn and it is driving
them to go deeper into some development subjects that they normally
would not ever be allowed to look at due to delivery schedules. Security
is giving them a good excuse to go learn more.
--

Mike Lyman
mlyman at west-point.org