Secure Coding mailing list archives

Open Source Code Contains Security Holes -- Open Source -- InformationWeek

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:48:50 -0500

Good points Ken.

I lurk on a top-secret open source list that has been discussing this since New Years.  I posted an entry on Justice
League with my partially formed opinion:
http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2008/01/09/on-open-source/

I have also written a longer piece, which will be posted one of these weeks on darkreading.

The gist of my opinion is that these open source projects are excellent work that should be commended, but that focus
exclusively on bugs.  Coverity's PR has been straightforward and correct, but the press does not get it.

For example, compare these two articles:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205600229&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/11-open-source-projects-pass-security-health-check/0,130061744,339284949,00.htm

There's a /. thread on this to:

gem