Secure Coding mailing list archives

InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCICompliance

From: cwysopal at Veracode.com (Chris Wysopal)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:51:11 -0400

Ken,

Customers not wanting to part with source code is one of the reasons, at
Veracode, we decided to take our static binary analysis technology to
market as SaaS. You get the benefit of both automation, as with static
source code analysis, and an external assessment, yet you don't have to
part with your source code.  So that we can deliver the same analysis
accuracy as source code static analysis (among other reasons) we require
our customers to submit symbols along with the compiled binaries.  It is
true that there is some intellectual property included in the symbols
but it doesn't elicit the same level of protective response which has
people opting for the root canal over sending source code externally.
Our solution allows organizations to meet the external code review
requirements without having external parties inspect their source code.

-Chris