Secure Coding mailing list archives

Language agnostic secure coding guidelines/standards?

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:33:49 -0500

 Awhile back, I got asked the same question and realized that at some
level the question is flawed. Many large enterprises have standards
documents that sit on the shelf and the need to create more didn't feel
right. Instead, we feel to the posture that we should inverse the
problem and instead find a tool that automates the code review process
(aka static analysis) where we can not only measure compliance to the
standard but get the standards off the shelf.

In terms of products, check out Ounce Labs, Coverity, Klocwork, etc.
Most will have coverage for C, Java, .NET, etc. The challenge with some
of the other languages you have is that pretty much no one in the
security community has ever spent much time analyzing the weaknesses in
COBOL. There is some stuff out there, but it is light when compared to
Java...