Secure Coding mailing list archives

[Esapi-user] Recommending ESAPI?

From: jim at manico.net (Jim Manico)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:45:42 -1000

Stephen,

I think this is very important and sage advice.

Philosophically, we do not want to bring developers to ESAPI, we want to
bring ESAPI to developers. And that means working with where THEY are at
and moving form there.

I have not seen a large company use ESAPI directly in their code
(although others may have). Due to the maturity level of ESAPI, I
recommend that companies integrate ESAPI into their own corporate
library to fill in the gaps (wrap it!). Everyone has a different
nomenclature for function names, and I'm a fan of calling
ESAPI.encodeForHTML() instead of ESAPI.encoder().encodeForHTML() which
is what every "wrapper" has done so far,  from what I've seen.

 For the overlapping functions, I think that existing frameworks
already do an acceptable job of _*providing authentication*_

I agree 100%. I do not see a big use case for ESAPI authentication in
most large organizations - they usually have something like SSO or at
least standard auth in place already. We need more maturity in this area.
_*
, access control,*_

I think most frameworks get this wrong - in particular, I feel role
based access control is basically a design (or even security)
anti-pattern - and we need to move towards contextual/activity based
access control. I am not saying that ESAPI is there yet either, but
Access Control is an area that merits a great deal more research.
_*
data validation*_

I mostly agree - but keep in mind that most frameworks do NOT do
canonicalization, a crucial validation step. ESAPI does this better than
the average bear.

_*> and logging,
*_
ESAPI provides something that log4j and others do not - security
specific logging. It's not groundbreaking - it's quite simple. But very
crucial, IMO.

logger.error(Logger.SECURITY_FAILURE, "Attempt to add unsafe data to
cookie (skip mode). Skipping cookie and continuing.");
*
so unless there's a compelling feature that the application needs from
ESAPI, I'd advise them to stick with their investment in their existing
frameworks.*

I'd like to rephrase that a little  "Stick with your frameworks, but use
ESAPI to fill in the gaps"

Thanks for your thoughts, Stephen. I "get" where you are coming from,
and I think your head is in the right place. (About this topic, at least ;)

Regards,
- Jim