Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: Backdoors in custom software applications

From: Chris Wysopal <cwysopal () veracode com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:11:36 -0500

Our black hat presentation describes how to look for many backdoor categories through static analysis.

http://www.veracode.com/images/stories/static-detection-of-backdoors-1.0-blackhat2007-slides.pdf

The Veracode static analysis service implements many of these techniques.  Finding hidden commands and functionality
with static analysis is difficult because the correct commands/functionality needs to be defined.  We discuss a
potential way to do this for web apps which is to detect the set of commands and parameters available through the UI
and then determine if the app has additional commands in a switch statement or table for instance.  You could also look
to see if additional parameters in web requests are used by the applications logic that do not show up in the UI.  We
define these as "invisible" parameters.

-Chris