Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java DOS

From: "Wall, Kevin" <Kevin.Wall () qwest com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:20:25 -0600

On Feb 15, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Chris Schmidt <chrisisbeef () gmail com> wrote:
On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:57 AM, "Wall, Kevin" <Kevin.Wall () qwest com> wrote:
[snip[
So on a somewhat related note, does anyone have any idea as to how common it is for
application developers to call ServletRequest.getLocale() or ServletRequest.getLocales()
for Tomcat applications? Just curious. I'm sure it's a lot more common than
developers using double-precision floating point in their applications (with
the possible exception within the scientific computing community).

I would assume just about any app with a shopping cart does. This is of course compounded
by libraries like struts and spring mvc that autobind your form variables for you. Use a form with
a double in it and your boned.

Good point about things like Spring and Struts. Hadn't thought of those cases. OTOH, if
I were implementing a shopping cart, I'd write a special Currency class and there
probably use Float.parseFloat() rather than Double.parseDouble() [unless I were a bank
or otherwise had to compute interest], and hopefully Float does not have similar issues.

-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall   614.215.4788   Qwest Risk Management / Information Security Team
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME