Secure Coding mailing list archives

More on US Cyber Security Policy

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:33:37 -0400

hi sc-l,

You may recall the informIT article that I wrote with Ivan Arce about Cyber War: Cyber Warmongering and Influence
Peddling<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1662328> (November 24, 2010). When I ran that article up the
policy flagpole in DC, the reaction was decidedly mixed. Maybe a bit too technical and a bit too raw was the verdict.
The idea was supposedly to get through to the policy types.

So, a complete rewrite of the core concepts with the help of Center for a New American Security CEO Nathaniel Fick was
in order. I’m happy to say that the result looks good and has been included in the recent CNAS report on Cyber Security
called “AMERICA’S CYBER FUTURE: SECURITY AND PROSPERITY IN THE INFORMATION AGE VOLUMES I AND
II<http://www.cnas.rsvp1.com/node/6405?mgh=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnas.org&mgf=1>” (sorry for yelling, that’s how the policy
people do it). In volume II as chapter 3, you will find the paper I wrote with Nate. The new title? “Separating the
Threat from the Hype: What Washington Needs to Know About Cyber
Security<http://www.cnas.org/files/documents/publications/CNAS_Cyber_Volume%20II.pdf>” You can download the complete
report from the CNAS website here<http://www.cnas.rsvp1.com/node/6405?mgh=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnas.org&mgf=1> (volume II
here<http://www.cnas.org/files/documents/publications/CNAS_Cyber_Volume%20II.pdf>).

I would love to see us turn the Washington sound and the fury from cyber war to cyber crime where it belongs. What do
you think?

gem

p.s. In other policy-related writing, my current informIT article Computer Security and International
Norms<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1719778> (May 30, 2011) discusses the recently-released White
House “International Strategy for Cyberspace.”

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague
book www.swsec.com